Wednesday, October 8, 2008

How to divide your plants?

My friend Miriam asked me a very good question which I thought I would post here for anyone who wanted to know the same thing.

"I want to divide some of the plants in our garden (thyme, hardy hibiscus, etc). Can I do it now?

Do I cut them back and then divide or vice a versa?

Do I replant them outside or inside?"

Different plants are divided or rooted differently, so you have to read up on what their care requirements are and understand how they grow and propagate.
  • Most herbs can be rooted by taking cuttings a few inches below the top and putting it in water or something light like vermiculite until it roots. As soon as it roots, put it in potting soil.
  • Keep herbs indoors and anything that won't survive the cold of the winter.
  • Herbs can be cut and rooted at anytime. If you put them back outside, keep them out of direct sun light until they are strong.
  • As for perennials like peonies, lilies, irises, tulips, and dahlias; they can be dug up, divided by pulling the roots/bulbs apart and then planting them back into the ground. You can cut these back because they are done blooming until next year.
  • Most perennials should be divided in the Fall when they go dormant.
  • From what I read about Hibiscus, you don't want to cut them back because they bloom from the top.
If anyone has anymore questions, feel free to leave me a comment. I hope this helps!

1 comment:

Coasting Anon said...

omg...thank you, thank you, thank you. (for some reason Bloglines hadn't updated for like, two weeks, and I just got this). I am off to go root my basil :)