Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Highlights from the garden

"Carnation" or "Peony" Poppy


I'm sorry to say this, but for such an highly anticipated flower, this flower is just ugly. I started these poppies from seed and they were rather difficult to get started actually. It took weeks and only recently have they grown to size. The flowers aren't very "flowery" at all. I plan on relocating these to give them more support next year.

Corn - Harvested some corn for dinner tonight!


Sugar Snap Peas - I think we have a runner up compared to last year's largest pea.


English Cucumbers


We have had 21 successful English cucumbers to date. They are delicious and great to pickle or bring to work (they retain their water). I've shared many with my neighbors too. The cucumbers are beginning to winde down, but I hope more come back. I wonder if I should trim the lower leaves on the vine?

Basil


More basil than I know what to do with! With the rain and heat, the basil has really bolted. I harvested, washed, dried and submerged the leaves in olive oil to save for winter use. I made tons of pesto which I've been eating on everything! I'll post the recipe soon.

Carrots


I was curious to see the progress on the carrots, so I dug a little bit just to see what it looks like. It's so cute! I don't know when it's time to harvest though???

2 comments:

Jenna said...

All of your posts have me wanting to garden so bad! Do you think it would work on my apartment balcony :)

Baby and Me said...

That corn sure does look yummy!