Friday, September 19, 2008

Mon Petit Chou

My husband's grandmother is Polish, so he loves this! I usually make this with a head of cabbage, but I bought these adorable brussel sprouts at the farmer's market that were too adorable to pass up. This is a great fall/winter dish to cozy up with a pair of sweatpants.



Brown some onions and bacon in butter. There's nothing in the world better than onions, bacon and butter. Can you use turkey bacon? NO. Don't mess up my recipe! If you use turkey bacon for any reason other than religious, go no further.



Add the onions and brussel sprouts. Let them sweat a little and get brown.



Then add the slices of kielbasa. Let them brown and get all yummy.



Here's my secret ingredient. A bottle of beer! Turn up the heat and add the beer. It gets all bubbly and delicious.



Allow to simmer for 45 minutes. Enjoy it with some egg noodles and beet horseradish!

Why "mon petit chou"? It's french for my little cabbage. Both the hubs and I took french in school and mon petit chou is our little pet name for one another. Sssshhh No one knows.

2 comments:

Puzzles to Print said...

Looks great and I love the secret ingredient. I'm giving it a try. I made a couple of Brussel Sprouts Recipes recently, one which has chestnuts as well as bacon. Very stick to your ribs sort of food. Thanks for the recipe. A bientot.

Baby and Me said...

ha! that is so funny! That looks really yummy. I cant have a few of the items right now but I will add it to my list of things to eat come January!